Many people tend to confuse being unhappy and having depression. A major depressive disorder entails more than being unhappy. There are various signs of depression that distinguish it from a mere feeling of sadness. Finding out whether your consistent unshakable dark feelings are a form of depression helps you start your journey towards healing and recovery.
Statistics show that major depressive disorder affects more than 16.1 million adults in the United States every year. This shows that there is no shame in seeking treatment for this mental disorder since you are not alone.
Signs of Depression
You need to look out for the warning signs of depression to find out whether you should seek treatment from a mental health professional.
Some of these signs include:
- Hopeless outlook: Depression affects how one feels about themselves and life in general. The most common sign of major depression is having a helpless or hopeless outlook on your life. You may also feel helpless, inappropriate guilt, or self-hate.
- Sleeping problems and increased fatigue: You may end up feeling too tired to do the things you enjoy. Depression deprives you of your initial energy and brings overwhelming fatigue. This often leads to excessive sleeping. Depression may also lead to insomnia or make it worse. Lacking enough restful and quality sleep may lead to anxiety.
- Lost interest: Depression deprives you of the enjoyment of doing things you love. It makes you withdrawal from activities you once loved, such as going out with friends and sports. Major depression may also cause impotence and decreased sex drive.
- Anxiety: Depression and anxiety often occur together. Anxiety makes it difficult for you to think and focus on any other thing aside from what worries you. It also causes tense feelings, restlessness, and nervousness.
- Changes in weight and appetite: Some people may experience loss of weight while others may gain weight. Dietary changes that are not intentional are most likely as a result of depression.
- Irritability in men: Depression affects genders differently. Men struggling with depression have symptoms like misplaced anger, substance abuse, risky behavior, and irritability.
- Looking at death: Sometimes, depression may lead to suicidal ideations. Often, people to take their lives show the symptoms first. They may attempt it a couple of times and talk about frequently. Ensure you seek help from a suicide prevention hotline if you or your loved one is considering suicide.
Depression Treatment at Victory Bay Recovery Center
The treatment facility has friendly and professional staff members and medical care providers. It provides outpatient care for individuals struggling with substance abuse and other co-occurring disorders. These disorders include mental health problems, such as anxiety and depression.
The recovery center has a dual diagnosis treatment center that treats various behavioral, emotional, and mental health concerns. The facility helps you find out the signs of depression and connect you with a professional mental health provider. The treatment provided is well-rounded to fit the needs of the clients.
Other treatment programs available at Victory Bay include:
- Outpatient drug rehab center: Patients receive treatment for their various drug addiction problems while still staying at home. It works well for mothers or business people.
- Family therapy program: The program brings together families of the affected people and educates them about drug addiction and co-occurring disorders. They also learn how best to take care of their loved ones.
- Recover-safe treatment program: This program involves emergency preparedness, physical health, and mental health. The program treats the person as a whole and not just the disorder.
- Intensive outpatient program: Clients get help in getting back to the community after recovery. They also get the required help to prevent relapse.
- EMDR therapy: This is a psychotherapy treatment that does not involve taking any medication.
Receive Quality Treatment for Depression
Don’t watch yourself or your loved one sink deep into depression. Seek the help of a professional to find out the signs of depression. So reach out to us today via 855.259.1624 and begin your journey to healing and recovery.